Many in our area have been experiencing an awful stomach bug that somehow our family has been able to avoid. This past week, however, it crept up upon us in the middle of the night, when we are at our weakest. It's like it knows, wait until everyone is resting and peaceful, then attack!
Child one, Hannah, went down just as Thursday was starting and while it was a long night things were spaced out enough that the parents could tag team caring for her and clean-up, and all involved were able to get a little sleep in between. The rest of Thursday brought on mild fever, and general puny-ness but it also hadn't brought on any other sick children, or parents for that matter. Both my husband and I spent the day feeling icky, but didn't know if it was real ick or just the thought we'd end up sick after what we had experienced the night before. Overall we managed the day, and at the end felt victorious as only one of the five had officially succumbed to this plague.
Friday would bring Kelley and Charlie leaving for a weekend retreat, while Hannah showed signs of returning to normal, but then at the end of the day it was apparent Lilly wasn't herself. Because everyone else seemed good I chocked it up to Lilly just being tired from a day of school and play. I'm sure you see where this is going. Friday night, scratch that, early Saturday morning just as I had fallen asleep it was Lilly's turn. This time we were down by one parent, but I wasn't that worried having just gone through this two nights before I was the pro, and knew what was coming next. The first two times Lilly was sick I was preparing her for what was next. By the third time she had the drill down and her precious face was stuck down in the trash can before she even knew what was coming. Nothing like the sense of accomplishment your child feels when they realize all their throw up made it in the trash can and not on themselves or the stuff around them. Sweet victory! She wanted me to sleep with her on her pallet. Thinking this wasn't the best idea since I'd be an easy target, I opted to lay on the floor at the head of the pallet. Not the most comfortable position with my head in the bathroom doorway, and legs extending up under my bed, but it worked. (Side note: my back is still killing me but sometimes the pain is worth the sacrifice for our kids. however, need to figure out a better option next time.)
By the fourth time I was letting her know there were only one or two more times to go. Also at this point her sister, sleeping on the other pallet in my room, was waking up each time as well to share her stories of pain, and encourage her sister. The best was one of the last times when Lilly was crying out in pain, Hannah told her to just think happy thoughts and don't think about what's happening that way it won't hurt so bad. So sweet. It's these moments that they demonstrate how much they truly love one another. Where Hannah had been fairly quiet when she was sick, Lilly was very vocal about how much it hurt and equally how much she missed her Daddy. Lilly sounded like me going through natural childbirth, and Hannah, like my last delivery when you know it's not easy or fun but everything about it just seems peaceful.
Finally we made it through the night. The next morning Lilly was proud of the fact that she holds the record for most times getting sick for this round. I think she counted 9, where Hannah only had 6 or 7. Both girls main concern was not the night before and lack of sleep, or pouring rain outside, but the fact they were about to miss their first soccer game of the season. Thankfully, the rain caused that to be cancelled and also provided a great day to stay inside for rest and recovery.
As soon as we were settled in our new, clean spots for the day it was time for Lilly to get to talk to Daddy. Little did we know he had a treat for us - Charlie had also been struck with the bug, only he wasn't in the comfort of home, he was at camp, with 100 other kids, and no running water in their cabin. Always glad Kelley is able to go along on these retreats but particularly glad this time because it meant Charlie could retreat to the quiet of his private room to complete his sickness. After the brief moment of sadness because I wasn't able to be there for him, and the sad realization that he had thrown up all by himself in a bathroom stall , I resolved to channel that sadness into action.
It was time for Laundry-geddon! My counter-attack began with Lysol and Clorox wipes attacking the low ground, while anything that could be washed was to cover the high ground. As I write this the mission is still going on as there are two more loads of sheets to wash, and one or two loads of clothes but then sweet victory will be mine!
Today Hannah is back to crazy, bubbly, organized, entertaining Hannah. Where Friday night she didn't want ice cream, but then caved and ate a little vanilla (side note: if she doesn't want ice cream or something chocolate you know something's wrong.), last night she was eating Chick-fil-a and this morning Chocolate Chip pancakes. We are in the clear with her!
Lilly & Charlie are right where Hannah was yesterday - still puny, happy to lay on their pallet watching Disney movies, and occasionally playing Wii, giving in to my nagging requests to drink more water, willing to eat some crackers and a small bite of ice cream only because I say so.
Much to everyone's sadness they will probably all be good to go by tomorrow just in time to head back to school. I will have a house full of clean sheets and freshly laundered comforters. But the cheap Ikea pillow I bought as decoration for Lilly's bed well, jury's still out on that one, but it may be finding a new home at the dump.
No comments:
Post a Comment