This mourning is bittersweet.
A tiny, energetic, sweet little dog made sad puppy eyes at us over 10 years ago. Looking out from the kennel where she was on display, awaiting a new owner to take her home, something in her eyes said get me away from all these crazy animals, and people who want to pet me, bust me outta here and I’ll be the most loyal member of your family for years to come. I’ll teach your children about responsibility, I’ll comfort you when you are sick and listen when you think no one else will, frustrate your husband by loving him so much I go anywhere he goes with such dedication that sometimes he might trip over me because he forgets I'm there and I love him just that much. When I hear you come home for the day I’ll make sure to signal your arrival for the family by sitting patiently at the door for you to walk in. If you are home alone, I’ll be your guard dog - I may not look like much but no one messes with you and of that I’ll be sure. There is one little thing I should have mentioned before you fell in love with me - I like to run, a lot. So, if you leave the door open even the smallest amount I am going to bust out and run as fast as I can in any direction so I can take in every inch around me, but I will always come home, or, jump in to the truck, because there isn’t anyone out there who loves me more, or feeds me.
Brownie joined our family when there was a three and half year old Charlie, a days away from one year old Hannah, and a baby growing in my belly. To say we all grew up together probably says it best. She taught me a lot about myself along the way, and she has been the best nanny to my children. They love her so much as is evidenced by the grief they have felt once we knew our time with Brownie was coming to a close. As sweet Lilly said this morning, she is in a better place and that she is. We had more time than we thought, but still that will never be enough.
Once Hannah learned the news, through tears but with a smile on her face said, hey, it’s the circle of life. That it is, and we are thankful Brownie was part of ours.
To the bestest brown dog ever, you will be missed sweet girl, we love you Brownie.
No comments:
Post a Comment